Register on the site and join ALOT! As part of Bridging the Gap, which invites interested members of the public to conduct and upload their own interviews, users can contribute directly to ALOT! You do not need to be an oral historian! We want you to interview same-sex and same-gender attracted women in your own community so that we can build more inclusive histories together! If you need help getting started check out our tips on how to conduct an oral history interview and be sure to watch our Oral History Interview Webinar!
For information on how to donate archival materials to ALOT/SFU, see: Donating to ALOT.
Join ALOT by first creating an account on the site, as all interactive and participatory features on the site are only available to registered users. To join ALOT and create your account, click here or click the “Join ALOT” link at the bottom right-hand corner of the site. Follow these steps:
- Enter your username and email address, agree to the Terms and Conditions, and complete the simple anti-spam question. Click the “Create new account” button. You will receive an email notifying that your account is awaiting approval.
- Soon, you will receive another email that will notify you that your account has been activated, and provide you with a link to complete the registration process. At this page, you can set your password and customize your public user profile (including creating a bio, uploading a profile picture, etc.).
- After completing the registration process, you will also receive an e-mail inviting you to participate in ALOT’s Bridging the Gap project by agreeing to complete a simple, anonymous online questionnaire about your experience on the site. This is entirely optional and you can contribute to ALOT without taking part in the research study.
Once you have your account, you can Login any time using the link in the bottom right-hand corner of the site or by clicking here. You can find your user profile by click on the "Hello [username]" link in the top right-hand corner of the site, next to the "Log out" link.
How to Contribute
Once you have registered and joined ALOT, you will be able to:
- Customize your user profile
- View other contributors' user profiles and contact them through the Contact tab on their user profile
- Upload your own oral history interviews directly to the website
- Tag interviews and browse interviews by their tags
- Rate interviews for interest or popularity, and browse interviews by their ratings
Take our user survey to help us reach more people about documenting queer histories from within thier communities!